Monday, April 23, 2012

Crazy Few Weeks and a Major Milestone...

Hi, everyone! It's been a crazy few weeks. I'm going to start out by saying that I've been in a bit of a funk since the midnight run. I need a *good* race to bring me out of it. Luckily for me the Fat Ass 5K is coming up in just a few weeks! 

The Fat Ass is also going to be part of my "taper" for the half that is a week later. Since I'm doing the 5K for the experience, not the time, so it'll probably be a run/walk race. I can't wait, though! It's supposed to be a great time!

 I realized yesterday that my half was FOUR WEEKS AWAY!!! :-O It's so weird to think about it being so close. Training is going pretty decent with just a few bumps along the way...

 I've been fitting in my weekday "short" runs as best as I can and have been able to do them as scheduled most of the time.

 As far as my long runs go, on Easter I did 8 miles:


**Happy running 8 guy courtesy of my 8-year-old.**

And there's me in my shirt that matches my skin tone almost exactly. I didn't realize just how close they were until I saw the picture, lol.  As you can also see, I am now a redhead. :-P

Then the craziest thing happened the Wednesday after Easter. I wound up with a nasty infection under my thumb nail. Yikes!

 I guess something got pushed under there and separated the skin from the nail and bacteria got in there. It was awful. It was swollen, red, and warm to the touch. It also hurt like I've never felt before! I've had surgery before and now I know what they mean when they say to watch out for excessive pain afterwards.

 I went to the doctor that Thursday and was given antibiotics and a list of things to watch out for that required immediate medical attention. Thankfully none of those "immediate medical attention" things happened and things seem to have cleared up just fine. My thumb is still tender and healing but everything is on the mend.

 While this was going on I couldn't move my arm without causing excruciating pain. In fact, the only thing that made it at all bearable was to be laying down with my hand elevated on pillows. Needless to say I did not get my 2nd short run or my long run in that week. :-(

Since I missed a week I decided to move along with my training. This past week I was able to do my 2 short runs and my long run which was...drumroll please...10 MILES!!!!!





My first double digit run! It was so exciting! It took me 2 hours and 44 minutes to do it but by golly I did it!

I can't believe I've actually done a double digit run. If someone had told me 7 months ago that in the spring I would go out one morning and run 10 miles I would have thought they were crazy!

 It just goes to show you that anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment